Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Week Twenty-Three: Rainbow Fish

One of my favourite books when I was a kid was "The Rainbow Fish" by Marcus Pfister, an excellent 'sharing' lesson and a beautiful and entertaining story too. When I was searching my brain for subjects to quill for this year long project this came into my head, and while I didn't want to try and create the actual fish (groovy mirror paper isn't easy to come by anyway), a fishie of some sort sounded good.

But then I kept putting it off. I saw a quilled fish on pinterest that was far better than anything I could do, and then made the mistake of Google image-ing it and seeing a few more that are beyond me, and I slinked back to my corner and hid from the quilled fish idea for a while. But I got over it. I'm here to make my own creations, putting my personal style on things and entertaining all of you and making my customers happy.



I wanted colourful, with a beautiful tail. I got just what I wanted. I chose a deep blue card to set him in the sea (yes, it is a he, I made it so I get to decide these things), and I like how that makes the colours really pop.



When I came to the tail I floundered (oh I can't resist a pun) a bit, not sure what to fill each strand with, but eventually decided that a different pattern in the strand's colour would be the most effective. I got to use my paper crimper as you can see :) the checker-print fin was the hardest, but the red one is my personal favourite.




I really like this chap, and I am quietly glad he didn't sell at the market on the weekend because I'm not ready to part with him. My husband loves this one and suggests I make a framed version.



I am sad to have sold off several cards from the 52 weeks project collection and have ear-marked them to be made again once I've finished the mission. Obviously if they sold they're worth making again!


Next week you'll get to see the end result of that project I was working on at the markets. See you then friends!

xnata

No comments: